ALUCOBOND® composite panels can be shaped using a very simple processing method.
The technique, called the routing and folding method, enables a fabricator to produce shapes of various kinds and sizes.
A V-shaped or rectangular groove is routed on the reverse side of the ALUCOBOND®composite panel using a disk or end milling cutter. A thin layer of the core material should be left at the base of the groove, i.e. on the inside of the outer cover sheet. The untouched outer cover sheet can now be bent manually, giving an exact and clean folding line which follows the routed groove. The outer radius of the folded edge depends on the shape of the groove and its depth.
We recommend that the routing be done using a vertical panel saw equipped withALUCOBOND® grooving accessories, a CNC machining centre, a portable sheet milling machine or a hand router. The routing and folding method can be used for ALUCOBOND®composite panels with all available standard surface finishes.
Important: When folding ALUCOBOND® with an anodised surface, the folded edges are brighter
The convincing advantages of this unique technique are:
- Low investment cost
- Simple fabrication technique
- Folding can be done on site, saving transportation cost
- Low-cost fabrication of shaped components used in fascia and wall cladding, roof edgings, column cladding, flashings, etc.
- Flexibility in creating shapes
- Very economical
- Shapes are not limited by machine capacity
- The fabrication of shaped components using ALUCOBOND® only requires a minimal investment outlay.
- Hand routers and sheet milling machines are inexpensive and can be used either in the workshop or on site.
- The fabrication of shapes in larger quantities is particularly economical using vertical panel saws equipped withALUCOBOND® grooving accessories.
90° V-groove for folds up to 90°
135° V-groove for folds up to 135°
Rectangular groove for folds up to 150°, depending on panel thickness.
Not suitable for ALUCOBOND® A2.
ALUCORE® is an aluminium composite panel consisting of two cover sheets and a honeycomb core of aluminium.
Following in the footsteps of the world-wide established ALUCOBOND® trademark, ALUCORE® is also a composite material for a variety of applications in transport and industry or architecture, showing excellent product properties such as extraordinary flatness, large variety of colours and high formability.
The aluminium honeycomb core gives the composite panel a high rigidity and an extremely low weight. ALUCORE® therefore provides the decisive advantage where very high demands are made on the material for applications such as façade cladding or roofing, e.g. if exposed to extremely high wind load and for large self-supporting roofs.
ALUCORE® is the first lightweight panel that you, too, will absolutely insist as being: a bond for life.